Rock Barbecue Pit

The rock barbecue pit was designed by William L. Monroe, Sr. and part of the original plans for Meredith House. The rock barbecue pit is a pit in two senses of the word.  First and foremost, it hosts a hearth kitchen and a grill / smoker pit with a separate flue.  Secondly and perhaps intentionally, […]

The Help

Meredith House was designed with live-in, hired help in mind. The carriage house’s upper floor was originally used as servants’ quarters.  The roughly 700 square foot floor plan included two separate bedrooms, a bathroom, and a kitchen.  The space is currently being utilized by ESN Artisan Jewelry as an artist’s studio. According to the 1940 Census, […]

Exterior: Badminton Court

Meredith House had a clay, lighted badminton court as an original feature.  The court does not exist today – – just a flat field.  The only remnants of the court are two metal poles.  One appears to have supported the electricity to the court.  The other may have been a light pole. The existence of […]

1953 Adair Realty Brochure

Meredith House was listed for sale after Hazel Meredith passed away in 1953.  Ultimately, the McLoughlins purchased the property and the residence – furnished! A less-than-ideal copy of this brochure was passed through the owners in some fashion.  We were given a copy of the brochure by the Fenders after closing in December 2010. In […]

The Headstone and Graves

Almost a year after moving into Meredith House, one of our neighbors casually mentioned a small headstone that bordered our two properties.  Curious, we wandered up a small knoll up from our mailbox.  Enclosed within a small two-foot high wrought-iron fence was a headstone. Upon closer inspection, the initials “E.A.” were clearly visible on the […]

1954 – 1962: The McLoughlins

Christopher John McLoughlin (1910 – 1962) and Jane Sharp McLoughlin (1913 – 1962) purchased Meredith House on May 7, 1954. Christopher J. McLoughlin was born on August 28, 1910 in Philadelphia, PA, the only child of John Stephen and Veronica McGann McLoughlin who lived in the Chestnut Hill area of that city. Dr. McLoughlin married […]

1938 – 1954: The Merediths

Kenneth A. Meredith was born in Liberty Center, Indiana about 1903 to John H. and Zella (nee Mott) Meredith. John H. Meredith lived in Muncie, Indiana and worked in the street car barn according to the 1907 Muncie (IN) City Directory. By the 1910 Census, John and Zetta [sic] Meredith lived in Grant, West Virginia […]

1900 – 1937 History

Sometime prior to 1883, Land Lot 138 was owned by James Willis Vaughn (1850 – 1925). He owned the entire 202 ½ acres. According to the 1880 Census, the 26-year-old North Carolina native, James W. Vaughn, was living at 254 North Calhoun Street in the 5th Ward of Atlanta. His occupation was the Bailiff of […]