Meredith House was built by Arthur “Sam” Hudson Satterwhite. According to audio with the architect, Sam Satterwhite was selected based on his bid. The plans were drawn up with specifications and put out to bid. According to the architect, Satterwhite put in the low bid and was selected. The architect noted that Satterwhite was known to him as having worked with Charlie Black of Tuxedo Park Development. Satterwhite had built houses within the Tuxedo Park Development.
Arthur Hudson Satterwhite was born March 13, 1881 in Rough Edge, Troup County, Georgia to Stephan Henry and Mary Ann (nee Zachary) Satterwhite. He was possibly the youngest of nine children born to his parts. According to his Selective Service Registration completed on September 7, 1918, Satterwhite lived at 735 2nd Avenue, Columbus, Georgia and working as a carpenter.
According to the 1920 Census, Satterwhite was living in the 2nd Ward of Atlanta. According to the 1930 Census, he is living in Center Hill, Georgia working as the Superintendent of a road construction company.
Sam Satterwhite passed away on June 23, 1951 in Atlanta, Georgia.
According the 1973 audio recording with the architect, two of the fireplaces mantle’s wood carvings were the work of “Steinichen.” He describes Steinichen as a sculptor. John Steinichen, Jr. was a sculptors in Atlanta in 1938. Steinichen was the son of John Steinichen, Sr, also a noted sculptor. Steinichen Sr. died in May 1934 at the age of 48 years old according to the Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945) archives (dated May 31, 1934). Steinichen Sr. was “a well-known Atlanta sculptor and formerly connected with the decorating firm of Koppe & Steinichen [Ornamental Plasterers].”
According to the 1973 audio recording with the architect, the gardens and outdoor fireplace were designed and installed by “Monroe of Monroe Landscaping – Monroe Drive.”
According to the Atlanta History Center, “William L. Monroe, Sr. (1892-1965), landscape architect, was born in Biscoe, North Carolina and graduated from Elon College. Through his military service, he moved to Atlanta, Georgia in 1917, staying after discharge to work for the local nursery C. A. Dahl Company in 1920. Monroe founded his own nursery in 1925, Monroe’s Landscape and Nursery Company, which was located on Monroe Drive (originally Boulevard, but renamed in 1937 in Monroe’s honor) in the Ansley Park neighborhood.
“Monroe designed for both residential and commercial properties and was well known for his use of stonework, streams, and rock gardens in naturalistic settings. Beginning in the 1930s Monroe served as special consultant for Fulton County and helped to develop Chastain Memorial Park as well as Adams Park. Many of Monroe’s clients included Buckhead residences such as the Troy Chastain estate on Habersham Road, the Hugh Nunnally estate on Blackland Road, and the Chester Martin estate on Blackland Road. Monroe also worked on projects outside of Atlanta, such as Dunaway Gardens in Coweta County and Berry College in Rome. William L. Monroe, Sr. died in 1965. His son, William (Billy) L. Monroe, Jr., joined his father’s business in 1948 and operated the nursery until retiring in 1986.”