Exterior: Georgia Slate Roof

“There’s one thing unique about this house and no longer reproducible – – God only knows how much it’d cost you if you had to get it – – and that’s the roof.  That is Rockmart slate.” – James C. Wise, Meredith House Architect Those words from the architect to the Thompsons in 1973 (Track […]

1973 Interview with Architect

The Audio In December 1973, the Thompsons were wise enough to audio-record a walking tour of Meredith House with the architect, James C. Wise.  The Thompsons were the fifth family to reside in Meredith House and moved in during Summer 1973.  Through perseverance, the Thompsons inquired about the identity of the architect and ultimately located […]

Maps and Boundaries

The land surrounding Meredith House has changed through the years. From the time Ken Meredith bought his original parcel from the Blantons through 2010, the land ownership has changed frequently. Here are a few GIS maps to illustrate the changes. For perspective, the area is about a quarter of a mile to the west of […]

Then and Now Photos

Here are a few side-by-side photos of Meredith House for historical comparison.  The house remains remarkably intact to its original design.  The “now” photos are about sixty years later.  Please note that some of the trees in the 1953 Front Elevation photo are clearly visible in the 2013 Front Elevation photo.  The growth of the […]

1953 Adair Realty Brochure

Meredith House was listed for sale after Hazel Meredith passed away in 1953.  Ultimately, the McLoughlins purchased the property and the residence – furnished! A less-than-ideal copy of this brochure was passed through the owners in some fashion.  We were given a copy of the brochure by the Fenders after closing in December 2010. In […]

The Headstone and Graves

Almost a year after moving into Meredith House, one of our neighbors casually mentioned a small headstone that bordered our two properties.  Curious, we wandered up a small knoll up from our mailbox.  Enclosed within a small two-foot high wrought-iron fence was a headstone. Upon closer inspection, the initials “E.A.” were clearly visible on the […]

1954 – 1962: The McLoughlins

Christopher John McLoughlin (1910 – 1962) and Jane Sharp McLoughlin (1913 – 1962) purchased Meredith House on May 7, 1954. Christopher J. McLoughlin was born on August 28, 1910 in Philadelphia, PA, the only child of John Stephen and Veronica McGann McLoughlin who lived in the Chestnut Hill area of that city. Dr. McLoughlin married […]

1938 – 1954: The Merediths

Kenneth A. Meredith was born in Liberty Center, Indiana about 1903 to John H. and Zella (nee Mott) Meredith. John H. Meredith lived in Muncie, Indiana and worked in the street car barn according to the 1907 Muncie (IN) City Directory. By the 1910 Census, John and Zetta [sic] Meredith lived in Grant, West Virginia […]